Friday, September 20, 2013

Speaking of bad dolls

I have some problems with my dolls... or my saddles... or both. Not all my saddles have the perfect stirrup length for my dolls, and not all my dolls sit very well. Since I have a lot of models, in all scales, and I want to tack them all (I know, bad me!) I have a lot of saddles. Since I don't have unlimited amounts of money, most are older, or not specifically fitted to dolls, at least not my dolls. 

Then there are my many dolls- I use, or try to use, all of them, including the OF Breyers. I do have a few LSQ professionally done, recent dolls, but they don't fit all my models. In fact, this shoot has shown me how badly I need a small traditional/classic sized good doll!

I'm not sure if these dolls fall under the category of bad enough to hurt the entry, or not as bad as empty saddles. What do you think?

I just can't get this doll's legs under him. The mailbox photo sort of disguises it, but the bridge photo shows his very "chair seat". Would it be better to lose him? 




This one sits well, but the stirrups are too short for him, which pushes him back on the cantle. The saddle is the only one I have that fits the model pretty well. Most of mine are too large, or too small. Would an entry be better without the doll at all?





2 comments:

  1. On the first doll, you have to decide if the chair position is the doll's fault or the saddle. If the doll's knee and hip joints will move freely and his legs will lengthen, then it's probably the saddle. You might have to move the stirrup leathers back. But if the doll's joints won't rotate enough, or the doll's crotch is too narrow for the saddle, then it's the doll. Also, I make all my western stirrup leathers adjustable (up/down). It usually isn't hard to modify fixed ones with a little scrap leather.

    Classic sized dolls are harder to find. Have you looked for Heidi Ott dolls? In order to get doll to sit well in the saddle, many doll makers give the doll more of a butt with epoxy so they actually have a butt to sit on!

    And in my opinion, if the doll looks or sits poorly for whatever reason, I would leave it off. However, many dolls can be rehabbed with a little effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will agree that the Classic size dolls just aren't as good as the Traditional ones. I guess that's because the bigger ones are really designed more for our hobby, while the Classic ones are still more useful for doll houses?

    The first doll indeed doesn't have a good seat, and he's also not holding the reins well. I think the setup would look better without him since he's hurting more than helping.

    The second doll has different issues. If you look at the angle of the stirrup on his feet, you will see that his weight isn't in the stirrup. I think its that his legs aren't long enough for the stirrups. Also, since this is a show ring setup, he really needs to have chaps on, or at least dark pants. Faded jeans are only appropriate in Barrel Racing or Roping set ups. So, I would leave him off, too.

    ReplyDelete